Can I play Reaction Speed spells before attack and defend triggers? Such as casting Discipline on Ezreal Dashing before his attack trigger occurs?

verified
FAQ #10111·May 6, 2026·Asked before Vendetta
Answer

No, you cannot play Discipline before the attack trigger occurs.

According to RiftJudge FAQ #2235, there is no priority window to play reaction spells before a showdown begins if there are no triggers. As soon as the move to the battlefield is complete, combat/showdown begins immediately, and the "When I attack" triggers are placed on the chain first.

How to play it correctly

You must wait until Ezreal's "When I attack" ability triggers and is placed on the chain. Once that trigger is on the chain, you have a priority window to respond with Discipline.

The correct sequence is:

  1. Move: Ezreal moves to an occupied battlefield.
  2. Triggers: The "When I attack" triggered ability is placed on the chain.
  3. Priority Window: Because a trigger has been placed on the chain, the state is now CLOSED, and players can play [Reaction] spells.
  4. Respond: You can now play Discipline in response to the attack trigger. It is placed on top of the chain.
  5. Resolution (LIFO):
    • Discipline resolves first, giving Ezreal +2 Might.
    • Ezreal's "When I attack" ability then resolves, checking his new, higher Might value to deal damage.

This interaction is also supported by RiftJudge FAQ #9638, which confirms that you can buff Ezreal in response to his own attack trigger to increase the damage dealt by that ability.

Does this answer look correct?

0
Comments (0)

No comments yet.

Log in to comment.

Open Proposals (0)

No pending proposals.

Log in to propose edits.