Can you play reactions in response to a unit gaining the Attacker designation during combat?

verified
FAQ #10968·asked by 119086845916217346·June 10, 2026·Rules v1.4·Asked before Vendetta
Answer

Ruling: You cannot react to the designation itself, but you can react to the "When I attack..." triggers that result from gaining the Attacker designation. The designation is a state change that happens outside the chain, but any attack triggers it causes are placed on the chain, creating a closed state where reactions can be played.

Sequence:

  • A unit gains the Attacker designation during combat
  • Any "When I attack..." triggers are placed on the chain
  • The chain enters a closed state
  • Players may now play reaction cards in response to those triggers

Nuances:

  • If a unit has no "When I attack..." triggers, gaining the Attacker designation creates no reaction window since nothing enters the chain.
  • You are reacting to the triggered abilities on the chain, not to the designation event itself.

Does this answer look correct?

0
Comments (0)

No comments yet.

Log in to comment.

Open Proposals (0)

No pending proposals.

Log in to propose edits.