Playing as Lux legend, if I play Falling Comet to a battlefield and the opponent plays Retreat to return the unit to their hand before Falling Comet resolves, do I still get to draw 1 for the legend? Or since the spell doesn't resolve, I don't draw?

verified
FAQ #11601·July 13, 2026·Asked before Vendetta
Answer

Yes, you still draw a card.

When your opponent plays Retreat in response, the targeted unit returns to hand and is no longer a legal target. Falling Comet still resolves — it just has no effect on that illegal target (, 359.3.e.6). A spell that resolves to no effect is still considered played (), which is what Lux's Legend checks for.

This is different from a spell being countered (e.g. by Wind Wall), which prevents resolution entirely and would deny the draw — but Retreat doesn't counter, it just removes the target. The spell still goes through the full resolution process, so Lux triggers and you draw 1.

Does this answer look correct?

0
Comments (0)

No comments yet.

Log in to comment.

Open Proposals (0)

No pending proposals.

Log in to propose edits.