If Blue Ezreal is defending alone and I use Arcane Shift to return him to hand during the showdown, can I replay him to the same battlefield and will he trigger his 'When I defend' ability again?

verified
FAQ #149·asked by 244684420588503040·December 18, 2025·Rules v1.4·Asked before Vendetta
Answer

Ruling: Yes, you can replay Blue Ezreal to the same battlefield during combat if you are the defender (since you control the battlefield), and he will trigger his 'When I defend' ability again because he is a new game object that hasn't received the defender designation yet this turn.

Sequence:

  • Blue Ezreal defends and triggers his ability (shoots once)
  • You play Arcane Shift on priority, returning him to hand
  • You replay Blue Ezreal to the same battlefield
  • He triggers his 'When I defend' ability again (shoots a second time)
  • The showdown continues (it hasn't ended yet)

Nuances:

  • This only works if you are defending in combat, because defenders control the battlefield
  • If it's a non-combat showdown or you are attacking, you don't control the battlefield and cannot replay him to the same battlefield
  • Any attached gear detaches and goes to base when Ezreal leaves play
  • Every cleanup step now ensures units have designations appropriate to the current board state
  • The showdown doesn't restart; it's still the same showdown that only ends when both players consecutively pass with an empty chain

Does this answer look correct?

0
Comments (0)

No comments yet.

Log in to comment.

Open Proposals (0)

No pending proposals.

Log in to propose edits.