If Azir, Ascendant attacks and then uses its ability to swap with Azir, Sovereign from another battlefield, does Azir, Sovereign trigger its 'When I attack' ability and bring sand soldiers?

verified
FAQ #200·asked by 167819533476823041·December 18, 2025·Rules v1.4·Asked before Vendetta
Answer

Ruling: Yes, Azir, Sovereign becomes an attacker when swapped into the attacking battlefield and triggers its 'When I attack' ability, allowing it to move sand soldier tokens.

Sequence:

  • Azir, Ascendant attacks and is designated as an attacker
  • On attack and on defend timings occur
  • Azir, Ascendant uses its ability to swap with Azir, Sovereign
  • Azir, Sovereign arrives and becomes an attacker on cleanup
  • Azir, Sovereign's 'When I attack' triggers, allowing it to move all sand soldier tokens
  • Combat proceeds to showdown

Nuances:

  • 'When I attack' triggers the first time a unit is designated as an attacker in that combat, which doesn't have to be when combat starts
  • If you are defending, swapping a unit into the battlefield does NOT make it an attacker - you remain the defender until that combat ends
  • All of this occurs during the showdown phase since the swap ability is used when the controller has Focus

Does this answer look correct?

0
Comments (0)

No comments yet.

Log in to comment.

Open Proposals (0)

No pending proposals.

Log in to propose edits.