During a showdown, when attack and defend triggers go on the chain, do they resolve separately or together, and which resolves first?

verified
FAQ #3574·asked by 258946084607361024·January 4, 2026·Rules v1.4·Asked before Vendetta
Answer

Ruling: When combat starts, all "when I attack" and "when I defend" triggers enter the chain together, with the attacking player's triggers added first. Chains resolve backwards (last in, first out), so the defending player's triggers resolve first.

Sequence:

  • Combat starts
  • Attacking player's "when I attack" triggers are added to the chain first
  • Defending player's "when I defend" triggers are added to the chain second
  • Chain resolves backwards: defending player's triggers resolve first, then attacking player's triggers

Nuances:

  • The key distinction is that triggers from the defending player resolve first, not just "when I defend" triggers specifically. For example, triggers like "when enemy attacks" also resolve first because they belong to the defending player.
  • Passive abilities like Shield are always active when defending and don't use the chain.

Does this answer look correct?

0
Comments (0)

No comments yet.

Log in to comment.

Open Proposals (0)

No pending proposals.

Log in to propose edits.