If Teemo Strategist is hidden and revealed as a reaction during combat (after the 'When I Defend' timing window has passed), does his 'When I Defend' ability still trigger?

verified
FAQ #4461·asked by 833828527152431117·January 4, 2026·Rules v1.4·Asked before Vendetta
Answer

Ruling: Yes, Teemo's 'When I Defend' ability still triggers. Attack and defend triggers now activate when a unit gains the attacker or defender designation, so when Teemo is flipped and gains the defender designation, his trigger goes on the chain.

Sequence:

  • Opponent moves Yasuo to battlefield to start showdown
  • Yasuo targets another unit with his 'When I Attack' ability
  • Teemo is revealed as a reaction to the attacking ability
  • Teemo gains the defender designation
  • Teemo's 'When I Defend' trigger goes on the chain

Nuances:

  • This rule change ensures units joining combat by any means still get their triggers, but still only once
  • If Teemo is removed in response to his trigger (e.g., with Gust), his ability won't find "here" and won't ping anyone, though the trigger still resolves
  • The "reveal 5" part of hidden still happens even if Teemo is removed, which can be relevant for cards like Nocturne

Does this answer look correct?

0
Comments (0)

No comments yet.

Log in to comment.

Open Proposals (0)

No pending proposals.

Log in to propose edits.