For Fortified Position battlefield ('when you defend here, choose a unit. It gets shield 2 this combat'), does the shield trigger resolve before 'When I attack' abilities, potentially saving defending units from attack-triggered damage?

verified
FAQ #5211·asked by 378694173391454219·January 4, 2026·Rules v1.4·Asked before Vendetta
Answer

Ruling: 'When I attack' triggers are placed on the stack first but resolve last. The battlefield's 'when you defend' trigger resolves first, giving shield 2 to a chosen unit before 'When I attack' abilities resolve.

Sequence:

  • Combat is initiated
  • 'When I attack' triggers go on stack
  • 'When you defend' triggers go on stack (on top)
  • 'When you defend' resolves first, granting shield 2
  • 'When I attack' resolves last

Nuances:

  • You can choose any unit (including enemy units) for the shield effect
  • Abilities with 'while' (like static modifiers) are intrinsic and always active, not triggered abilities that use the stack

Does this answer look correct?

0
Comments (0)

No comments yet.

Log in to comment.

Open Proposals (0)

No pending proposals.

Log in to propose edits.