If an opponent uses Reavers to retreat their unit when I move in to contest, do I still have the attacker designation and can I play Cleave to gain Assault stats?

verified
FAQ #5608·asked by 619329427603718164·January 4, 2026·Rules v1.4·Asked before Vendetta
Answer

Ruling: Yes, you retain the attacker designation and can play Cleave to benefit from Assault. When Reavers activates, the defender assignment has already occurred, which means you are the attacker.

Sequence:

  • Opponent's unit is in a battlefield with Reavers
  • You move a unit in to contest
  • Attacker (you) and defender (opponent) are assigned
  • Opponent activates Reavers to retreat their unit
  • Initial chain resolves
  • You gain focus and priority as the attacking player
  • You can cast Cleave as an action and benefit from Assault

Nuances:

  • Cleave is a spell with the action keyword, so it must be played after the initial chain resolves when you have priority
  • The attacker/defender assignments happen before Reavers can activate, so retreating doesn't remove your attacker status

Does this answer look correct?

0
Comments (0)

No comments yet.

Log in to comment.

Open Proposals (0)

No pending proposals.

Log in to propose edits.