Can I use an Action spell while attacking to prevent my opponent from playing an Action spell?

verified
FAQ #6177·asked by 457692361032597506·January 4, 2026·Rules v1.4·Asked before Vendetta
Answer

Ruling: Yes, as the attacker you get Focus first after the initial attack/defend abilities resolve, allowing you to open a chain with an Action spell before your opponent can respond.

Sequence:

  • Attack is declared
  • When I Attack and When I Defend abilities form the initial chain
  • Initial chain resolves
  • Attacker gets Focus first
  • Attacker can play an Action spell to open a new chain
  • Once a chain exists, opponent cannot play Action spells

Nuances:

  • Action spells can only be used during showdowns when there is no chain
  • Unit abilities (like Warwick's) count as something on the chain, preventing Action spells from being played
  • This blocking effect applies to both players once any chain exists

Does this answer look correct?

0
Comments (0)

No comments yet.

Log in to comment.

Open Proposals (0)

No pending proposals.

Log in to propose edits.