If I react to my own 'when I defend' trigger with Hostile Takeover to steal an enemy unit with a 'when I defend' ability, does the stolen unit's 'when I defend' trigger also activate before Reavers Row resolves?

verified
FAQ #6727·asked by 258253250514386945·January 4, 2026·Rules v1.4·Asked before Vendetta
Answer

Ruling: Yes, when you use a hidden Hostile Takeover in reaction to your own unit's 'when I defend' trigger, the stolen unit gains the defender designation and its 'when I defend' ability triggers before Reavers Row resolves.

Sequence:

  • Your unit is declared as defender, triggering its 'when I defend' ability
  • Opponent gets priority and passes
  • You get priority and play hidden Hostile Takeover, selecting the enemy unit (e.g., Draven)
  • Both players pass priority
  • Hostile Takeover resolves and you gain control of the enemy unit
  • The stolen unit gains the defender designation, triggering its 'when I defend' ability
  • The stolen unit's trigger goes on the chain above the original Reavers Row trigger
  • Chain resolves with the stolen unit's ability first, then Reavers Row

Nuances:

  • Hostile Takeover must be hidden to be played with react speed during opponent's turn, as it can normally only be played on your turn
  • The 'when I defend' triggers are not missed because you gain control of the unit before Reavers Row resolves

Does this answer look correct?

0
Comments (0)

No comments yet.

Log in to comment.

Open Proposals (0)

No pending proposals.

Log in to propose edits.