When the initial chain created by 'when I attack' or 'when I defend' abilities resolves during a Showdown, does Focus pass to the next Relevant Player according to rule 552, potentially denying the attacker initial Focus?

verified
FAQ #8076·asked by 131808923031306240·January 4, 2026·Rules v1.4·Asked before Vendetta
Answer

Ruling: The initial chain resolving should not cause Focus to pass. This behavior is not intended by design, though it appears to be what the current rules text states.

Nuances:

  • states that when the last item on a chain resolves during a Showdown, Focus passes to the next Relevant Player
  • This would mean cards like Blue Ahri with 'when I attack/defend' abilities would create an initial chain that, upon resolution, would pass Focus away from the attacker
  • This interaction is considered unintuitive and likely unintended by the developers

Does this answer look correct?

0
Comments (0)

No comments yet.

Log in to comment.

Open Proposals (0)

No pending proposals.

Log in to propose edits.