If I move Traveling Merchant from base to battlefield, and opponent responds with Fight or Flight (moving it back to base), does the 'When I move' ability trigger once or twice?

deprecated
FAQ #830·asked by 443493293318209556·December 27, 2025·Rules v1.4·Asked before Vendetta
Answer

Ruling: Traveling Merchant's ability triggers twice - once from the initial move to battlefield and once from Fight or Flight moving it back to base. You will discard 1 and draw 1 twice total.

Sequence:

  • Traveling Merchant moves from base to battlefield (Standard Move)
  • Trigger #1 goes on chain: "When I move, discard 1, then draw 1"
  • Opponent plays Fight or Flight as a Reaction
  • Fight or Flight resolves, moving Merchant from battlefield back to base
  • Trigger #2 goes on chain: "When I move, discard 1, then draw 1"
  • Trigger #2 resolves: discard 1, draw 1
  • Trigger #1 resolves: discard 1, draw 1

Nuances:

  • Both movements qualify as Moves because any permanent changing position from one space on the board to another is a Move (unless it's a corrective Recall)
  • The ability has no location-based targeting requirement, so it doesn't matter where the Merchant ends up
  • Any effect that moves Traveling Merchant will trigger the ability, whether it's a Standard Move, Ride the Wind, Fight or Flight, or any other movement effect

Does this answer look correct?

0
Comments (0)

No comments yet.

Comments are closed on deprecated questions.

Open Proposals (0)

No pending proposals.

Proposals are closed on deprecated questions.