Can I play Lucian's signature spell (Relentless Pursuit) if I have no equipment in play?

verified
FAQ #8437·asked by 121679855233400832·February 20, 2026·Rules v1.4·Asked before Vendetta
Answer

Ruling: No, you cannot play Relentless Pursuit without controlling an equipment. You must choose both a friendly unit and an equipment you control when casting the spell, even though attaching the equipment is optional.

Sequence:

  • Choose both a friendly unit and an equipment you control as the spell is cast
  • Move the chosen unit
  • You may choose to attach the chosen equipment to that unit
  • The unit gains "When I conquer, you may move me to my base" until end of turn

Nuances:

  • The equipment must exist to cast the spell, but attaching it during resolution is optional
  • This is a special case where the card text creates a targeting requirement despite using "may" language for the attachment
  • The unit still moves and gains the conquest ability even if you choose not to attach the equipment

Does this answer look correct?

0
Comments (0)

No comments yet.

Log in to comment.

Open Proposals (0)

No pending proposals.

Log in to propose edits.