Can I use Rell's ability when I attack into an empty battlefield?

verified
FAQ #8728·April 2, 2026·Rules v1.4·Asked before Vendetta
Answer

No, you cannot use Rell, Magnetic's ability when moving into an empty battlefield.

According to FAQ #8664 and FAQ #8689, moving a unit to an empty battlefield initiates a non-combat Showdown, not a Combat. Because there is no opposing unit to create a Combat, your unit does not gain the "Attacker" designation.

Rell, Magnetic's ability is a triggered ability that reads: "When I attack, you may play an Equipment..." Since this trigger specifically requires the unit to be designated as an attacker, and the "Attacker" designation is only granted during Combat ( and ), the ability will not trigger when moving to an empty battlefield.

Summary of why this interaction fails:

  1. No Combat: Moving to an empty battlefield creates a non-combat Showdown, not a Combat.
  2. No Attacker Designation: Because there is no Combat, your unit does not receive the "Attacker" designation.
  3. Trigger Condition Not Met: The ability "When I attack" requires the unit to be an attacker. As confirmed by FAQ #2505, this does not trigger when moving to an empty battlefield.

Note: I could not fully verify this ruling against the retrieved rules.

Does this answer look correct?

0
Comments (0)

No comments yet.

Log in to comment.

Open Proposals (0)

No pending proposals.

Log in to propose edits.